
About the only thing to do during the down time on the island (and there is a lot of it), is shopping. There are about 20 little shops that sell souvenirs

to gullible new parents. Mostly they all sell the same things: traditional Chinese outfits, squeaky shoes, place mat and chop stick sets, chops, jade, chinese blankets, embroidery etc. After 12 days here we've been to them all. You have to haggle over the prices. I had found an embroidery for Kailey's room and they wanted $300 ($45 US). Way too much, this wasn't quality stuff. They came down to 160 but I left. Days later when I entered and offered 100, they remembered me and remembered that they had told me 160. These shop owners remember every face. I bought it for 130. With the exchange rate like it is, it always seems that you are paying more than you are. Sometimes I stop and remind myself that I'm haggling over a $1 us. Our girl is now stocked up with outfits for several Chinese New Years, along with plenty of other stuff. We are all tired of the shops and would be ready to come home if it weren't 20 degrees there. We never tire of looking for the cats on the neighboring roof top garden.